Are Udemy courses accredited? Are Certificates from Udemy recognized? Should you buy a course from Udemy?
You might be thinking of investing in Udem’y online programs but you are not sure if you should invest in them. You might be contemplating if their courses are recognized by a University or an Institute.
Short answer is that Udemy courses aren’t accredited by any educational or governing body.
However, there is more to this online learning platform then just the recognition. There is a reason why so many people opt for this platform over others. Let’s look at it in detail.
Are Udemy Courses Accredited?
We already know that the Udemy online training programs are not accredited or their certificated are not recognized but let us find out if they are useful.
Brief Review of Udemy
Udemy is an all-purpose learning platform. The range of courses available on Udemy is vast. You can find courses on technical, management, hobbies, academic and various other subjects.
At the time of writing, Udemy had 100,000+ courses on its platform. There are a huge no. of instructors on this platform, which is the main reason for such a variety of content.
Some of the courses are created by industry experts but you will also find many programs that have been created by lesser known instructors. Some of the courses are amateurish and not worthy. Sometimes, it becomes difficult to assess which course is best for your needs.
To balance this out, Udemy has a rating & review system using which students can write review comments and give a rating to their courses. You can read these comments and look at students’ rating to determine if a course is worthy or not.
There are many positive features of Udemy. These include lifetime access, low price, direct support from the instructor etc. You can read my full review article on Udemy to look at all its features.
Top 5 Benefits of Udemy
Udemy is my first preference when I’m on a budget. Udemy is a very cost-effective learning platform. Though the certificate is not accredited, you will get tons of other benefits on Udemy.
- Low-Cost Courses – Udemy is a very cheap platform when it comes to learning. The prices on Udemy ranges from $20 – $199.
- Discounts & Promotions – There are always some kind of discounts & offers running on Udemy. Many a times, you can get courses for as low as $10.
- Student Feedback – Udemy shows other student’s feedback. These ratings & feedback could help you to analyze the course lessons before you invest in them. You can also see whether the course is worth it or not.
- Lifetime Access – You will be provided with lifetime access to the course. Once enrolled in any course, it will stay with you forever.
- 30- day Money Back Guarantee – If you don’t like any course in which you have enrolled, get your money back. Udemy offers 30-day money back guarantee to its students.
Why should you Use Udemy if their Certificates are not Recognized?
Udemy is the cheapest platform to learn online. I personally have taken a lot of courses on Udemy.
But the issue still remains that why should you invest in Udemy courses when they aren’t even accredited. Well there are several reasons:
- Updating your Knowledge – You can choose Udemy if you want to update your knowledge. e.g. If you work in Data Science projects, then you can take courses on Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence.
- Don’t Care About the Certificate – If you are one who prefers knowledge over Certificate, then you should go for it. Nowadays, skills is more appreciated than certifications.
- For Developing Hobbies – If you want to learn something just as a hobby then this platform is best for you. You could choose anything like yoga, dancing, playing guitar, etc. You could get professional guidance through these courses.
- Learning on a Budget – If you are on a budget, Udemy is the one for you. As there are usually discount offers running, you can get courses at as low as $10.
- Like to learn at your Own Pace – If you fall into the category of people who like to learn by themselves and at their own pace, go for it. You can get all the learning and do some more projects on your own.
If you come in any of the above 5 categories, you should definitely opt for Udemy. You shouldn’t give another thought and go with Udemy.
Sometimes, finding a good course on Udemy can be a headache but you can read my article on finding good courses on Udemy to determine which course is best for you.
You can also look at my article on finding best courses on Udemy. It will help you to separate the grain from chaff.
Alternatives of Udemy
- Pluralsight – This is one of the interesting platforms to choose from. It has lots of unique features like Path Learning. This will help you decide on a path of learning for you. You will get projects, test, quizzes, etc. on this platform.
- Coursera– This is also a wonderful platform to learn online. Coursera has been founded by Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller in 2012. Since then they have added hundreds of Institutes on their platform. It has been gaining a lot of popularity due to this reason.
- edX– This is one of the premier MOOCs when comes to learning. There are many top-ranking institutes under this platform. This platform was founded in 2012 by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University.
- TeamTreehouse – This platform has been made especially for Programmers. You can learn to code from scratch. They have a team of full-time and part-time members. These members help in developing the courses on this platform.
- Udacity – This is best for Job-Seekers. They will provide job calls for you. You can get hired through this platform. You will also get personalized feedback on your quizzes & projects.If you don’t want to go for Udemy there are plenty of options available. You can choose any of them listed above.
Udemy is evolving as a market leader in the online learning world. There are tons of courses to choose from. You can find any type of course on Udemy. But if somehow you don’t want to go for Udemy, choose another platform that suits your needs and interests.
Over To You
Do you think Udemy’s non-accreditation is an important factor is rejecting it courses? How useful are recognized certificates in jobs today?
I would love to hear from you in the comments section below.