I have written this post to review and compare the best online Human Resources courses with certification. I have chosen top three introductory programs for the beginners for the purpose of review.
Human Resources (HR) jobs are industry independent. It makes a lot of sense to start a career in this field as you can move from one industry to another without any trouble. You will gain lot of flexibility if you choose a vocation in HR.
Employment of human resources managers is projected to grow 6 percent from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. As new companies form and organizations expand their operations, they will need human resources managers to administer and monitor their programs and to ensure that firms adhere to changing employment laws.
A career in HR will give you a connecting string between your company and the employees. You always have to connect both ends while maintaining minimum stress. It takes a lot of skills.
By now, you would agree that HR is a good career to pursue, but the question come – where and how to start?
The answer is simple. You can start learning it online, gain knowledge through top courses and get a certificate to become employable.
Best Online Human Resources Certificate Courses with Detailed Review
1. Best Overall – Human Resource Management: HR for People Managers Specialization (Coursera)
2. Best Value for Money – People Management Skills (FutureLearn)
3. Best for Beginners – Strategic Human Resources (LinkedIn Learning)
1. Human Resource Management: HR for People Managers Specialization (Coursera)
The University of Minnesota offered this course, which put it at the top of the list.
Coursera offers a variety of accredited courses with its subscription. You can also apply for financial aid if you are eligible for it. Find out about Coursera financial aid here.
You will develop strategies and skills for hiring, managing performance, and rewarding employees.
What You Will Learn
- Understanding alternative approaches to managing human resources and appreciating the diversity of factors that motivate workers
- Applying best practices for hiring and rewarding employees, and for managing employee performance
- Avoiding key mistakes in (mis)managing human resources
There are 5 Courses in this Specialization
- Preparing to Manage Human Resources
- Recruiting, Hiring, and Onboarding Employees
- Managing Employee Performance
- Managing Employee Compensation
- Human Resources Management Capstone: HR for People Managers
The specialization begins with a foundational course that considers alternative approaches to managing human resources.
It provides a background to the U.S. legal context in which employees are hired, fired, rewarded, managed and outlines the different reasons people are motivated to work.
The remaining three courses are about: hiring employees, evaluating their performance, and rewarding them.
After completing it, you will have a deeper understanding of what works in the workplace, including a toolkit of best practices for hiring, managing, and rewarding employees.
- Beginner Level
- The ideal learner will have at least two years of college experience, but college experience is not required. Work experience is not necessary.
- Approximately 6 months to complete
- Suggested pace of 4 hours/week
- Subtitles: English, Arabic, French, Portuguese (European), Italian, Vietnamese, Korean, German, Russian, Spanish
- Shareable Specialization and Course Certificates
- Self-Paced Learning Option
- Course Videos & Readings
- Practice Quizzes
- Graded Assignments with Peer Feedback
- Graded Quizzes with Feedback
- Graded Programming Assignments
2. People Management Skills (FutureLearn)
Discover the key methods, strategies, and principles of people management and develop your management style with this course.
This 5-week course will teach you the people management skills you need on your journey towards becoming a successful line manager.
To become a great line manager, you must first discover your leadership style. Next, you’ll understand different management styles and learn how to adapt your style when necessary.
The course will also teach you how to adapt your management style to COVID-19, as many work environments have had to grow or change in the wake of the pandemic. In addition, you’ll learn how to manage a remote team and find out how gamification can help keep your team motivated.
You’ll learn about the labour market and recruitment process, team development, and successful coaching. You’ll also learn the importance of managing conflict and wellbeing in the workplace.
- Week 1 – Thinking of yourself as a manager
- Week 2 – How do you find the best people?
- Week 3 – How do you develop your team?
- Week 4 – How do you manage performance?
- Week 5 – How do you maintain a healthy workforce?
What You Will Learn
- Explore elements of managing absence and supporting employees returning to work
- Assess the current labour market conditions and trends for your organization
- Explore good practice in both recruitment and induction
- Describe effective ways of developing both teams and individuals
- Explore approaches to managing good workplace performance
- Describe ways to address shortfalls in performance
- Discuss the need to maintain a healthy workforce
- Reflect on your own management style
- Beginner Level
- Offred by CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development)
- 5 weeks – 3 hours/week
- 100% online
- Learn at your own pace Extra Benefits
3. Strategic Human Resources (LinkedIn Learning)
This course is offered by LinkedIn learning with a completion certificate in the end. You can read about LinkedIn Learning’s full review here.
Strategic Human Resources focus on payroll, forms, and policies to develop a strategic focus on your most important asset: people.
The instructor defines the components of strategic HR planning, including assessing current needs, forecasting the future, and supporting the overall organizational strategy and vision.
It will introduce you to your talent needs and guide on recruiting, onboarding, training, compensating, managing, and engaging employees.
After this course, you will be able to tie training and other HR activities to business results and ROI—to show your leaders the true value of your HR programs.
Skills covered in this course
- Human Resources (HR)
- Small Business Management
- Strategic Human Resource Planning
- Becoming a Strategic Partner
- Developing Employees
- Employee Engagement
- Beginner Level
- 54m 25s total watch time
- 2 project files
- 3 chapter quizzes
- Access on tablet and phone
- Certificate of completion – Showcase on your LinkedIn profile under the “Licenses and Certificates” section
You could start trying any of the above courses for free and choose after that according to your needs.
My recommendation is to go with the most detailed and accredit certificate.
It will help you to get a job much easier as compared to others.
But you can also try them all to learn more and more. Because when it’s about people, you always have more to understand.
Over to You
So, Which course you are going to try? Do you try them all?
Or are you going to stick with it finally?
Tell me in the comment section I will be happy to discuss.