You might have heard many people asking “is Udemy legit or is it a scam”. Some people claim that Udemy courses are not worth the money.
In my opinion Udemy is a legit and it is not a scam. It offers valuable eLearning courses at a reasonable price. All courses come with a lifetime guarantee and course completion certificates. Udemy training programs come with 30 days money back guarantee so you can ask for a refund if you are not satisfied.
Udemy is an ocean of online courses on varied topics. You will find courses on all kind of useful topics such as Data Science, AWS, Machine Learning, AI, and Python. Furthermore, you will find hobby related courses on cooking, dancing, painting, musical instruments etc.
As with any other thing in life, Udemy has its pros and cons but its benefits over-weigh its disadvantages. There are a lot of misconceptions revolving around Udemy. Let me clarify a few of these in this post.
Is Udemy Legit or a Scam?
Udemy is a legit company. It was founded in the year 2010 by Eren Bali, Oktay Caglar and Gagan Biyani.
Udemy has grown rapidly over a short period of time. It had 100,000+ courses with 8,000+ instructors at the time of writing this article.
Many people consider it as a scam due to its stupendous growth and availability of so many courses. Their fear is not unfounded. Udemy allows almost anyone to create a course. Creating a course on Udemy does not necessarily require teaching experience. People with questionable expertise have also created courses in past, which has sullied the reputation of Udemy.
As there are so many courses provided by thousands of instructors, not every course is created equal. Some courses are not up to the mark. But there is a method to separate wheat from the chaff, which can be used to buy only high quality programs on Udemy and reject shoddy courses.
You can also look at the top selling courses Udemy and invest only in them.
Top 5 Benefits of Udemy
1. Low Priced Courses – I believe Udemy is one of the best platform to learn and explore different subject at a very low cost. Even though the course prices range from $20 – $199.99, you can buy most of the programs for as low as $10. This is really cheap if you want to learn something new on a budget.
2. Course Support – Unlike many other platforms, you can directly contact instructors and seek their support. The Instructors might provide support via chat or email. Sometimes instructors are live on certain days and at specific time periods, at this time you can post your query to them and chat with them live.
3. Lifetime Access – The courses on Udemy come with a lifetime access and they never expire. This feature proves to be helpful when you wish to brush up your skills or recall certain things at a later time.
4. Course Ratings – Each course on Udemy has ratings and review comments. You can check the ratings and read through the review comments before buying a course. This ensures that you invest only in good courses.
5. Udemy Certificate – Udemy offers a certificate of completion at the end of course lessons. You can put it on your resume to seek better career oppurtunities.
Final Thoughts – Are Udemy Courses Worth It?
Udemy is one of the most valuable eLearning platforms. It offers lifetime access to thousands of courses at a very attractive price. You can choose between career and hobby oriented subjects to learn new things. It is like an all-in-one solution for upgrading your skills and knowledge.
One of the major cons o Udemy is that its courses lack of practical projects. Udemy does not provide any projects for hands-on experience. Projects are instrumental for gaining real-world experience especially for technology courses.
Overall, I would say Udemy is legit and not a scam. Before you go, you can click here to check the current discount on Udemy.
Over To You
What do you think of Udemy? Do you think its offerings and courses are worthwhile? Would you be investing in a course? If yes, which one?
Please leave your opinion in the comments section below.